Tuesday, December 13, 2005

mailbox

i've been more scrooge-like this december than i have in decembers past; i like to think i understand why. i'm feeling stressed about purchasing gifts for folks, i'm feeling shallow for i don't have a religion to base the celebration of christmas upon, i'm feeling confused with the little transition that my life is going through right now. bah humbug.

many who know me have heard me grumble about the abuse our postal system suffers under the free market, leading me to take a daily 20 yard walk for the sole purpose of transferring a pound of paper from a street-side metal box to a garage-side plastic bin. the holidays don't necessarily assist in my cause--loud flyers and thick catalogs fill my inbox moreso than usual, to my dismay.

but today, underneath a cell phone advert, i received a christmas card. red envelope, pretty return address sticker. my address handwritten in gold ink. a colorful card holds a warm wish and a "see you soon!" message from the senders.

"well, wasn't that enjoyable?" i think to myself. a nice breath of fresh air. maybe the postal service is worth having around after all. moving the card to the bottom of my deck, i have a look at the next envelope that awaits me:

COUNTY OF TRAVIS. OFFICIAL JURY SUMMONS.

[...]

i've been more scrooge-like this december than i have in decembers past; i like to think i understand why...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home