Saturday, October 15, 2005

ice, fire

"here... take this," she said. i stood in disbelief upon receipt.

i refused her offering; she insisted otherwise. i refused her offering again; unwaveringly, she insisted otherwise.

she uncurled my lean fingers and placed the gift into my hands. the frozen weight instantly burned like fire. i flinched away, only to find her hands clasped tightly around mine.

i looked into her eyes and saw confusion. saw fear. and as a tear rippled the reflection, i saw her.

the pain raced up my arms and through my body. she squeezed tighter.

"why don't you want this?" she asked.

the answer was self-evident, was it not? the gift was becoming slippery in my grasp; a wet trickle started to flow out from between my fingers. it served as small relief to the shock that my body was slipping into. i ripped my arms away from her and stepped back.

but drop the gift i did not. she stood there watching, unwavering. the trickle had turned into several streams running down my forearms onto my legs and into the earth. i held it away from my body.

"why did you give this to me?" i asked. i looked down. the ground was covered in blood, my empty hands stained with crimson.

"it was yours to begin with."

[...]

i had a dream last night. i was at some social function of sorts where it was commanded upon me to douse fargo in gasoline and light him on fire. he kept running around the perimeter of the patio as i chased him around with a red cannister. other people were socializing, encouraging me in my efforts. i would strike a match and see his paw go into flame, which he would promptly put out. another attempt saw his entire body ignite... he rolled belly-up and started to scratch his back on the grass in an attempt to put the fire out. i saw his chest hair curl-up and cinge. the smell of burnt hair began to turn into the smell of burnt flesh. the people around me cheered the occassion. and then the feeling rushed upon me like a tidal wave: "JESUS CHRIST, WHAT AM I DOING?!?" my now-former friends at the party kept getting in my way as i rushed to find something to save fargo...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home